[pd-discuss] Public Domain Day 2011 / Which works enter the PD in 2011?

John Mark Ockerbloom ockerblo at pobox.upenn.edu
Sun Oct 17 15:48:49 UTC 2010

Some additional thoughts:

-- It'd be nice if whoever made the "life+70" version of the public
domain chart could also code up a "life+50" version.  (Since it looks
like the data was generated automatically, I'm hoping this could
be done just be changing a parameter.)  While Europe and a growing
number of other countries are on the life+70 term, there are still
a number of other countries (like Canada) that are still life+50,
but getting pressure for longer terms.  It'd be nice to show
what people on those countries get to enjoy, and demonstrate the
public benefits of the shorter term.

-- There are more names and works that could go on the chart.  I've just
checked the data I've downloaded from Hathi Trust for death dates in
1940, and found names not on this list, as well as works by them not
mentioned there.  (The Hathi data is not complete; I'm just downloading
the records for books that have been determined to be in the public
domain in the US; and there are often multiple records for different
editions of the same work.  But this may be a useful supplement.)

-- If you'd like to include Hathi data in this or public domain
or open-bibliographic projects, I've been told that they place
no restrictions on the OAI-exported versions of their records.
The information for OAI downloads can be found on their site.

-- A project I'll be announcing sometime tomorrow (assuming no
unforeseen glitches) will be making a lot of this data visible,
searchable, and browsable in some interesting ways.  Please
wait until the announcement on Everybody's Libraries, which will
have more specifics, to spread
this news,  but I think you'll find it an interesting and useful
example of the sorts of useful new applications of open bibliographic
data about public domain works.

John