[pd-discuss] Public Domain Day 2011 / Which works enter the PD in 2011?

Jim Killock jim at openrightsgroup.org
Sun Oct 24 15:16:16 UTC 2010

Hi there

As Javier Ruiz may have mentioned to some of you, the Open Rights Group would like to do some work on PD Day as part of our copyright reform work. We particularly need to highlight sound recordings, although these do not of course always fall fully into the public domain as compositions may remain in copyright.

On the 'who is important' question:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Category:1940_deaths includes:

John Buchan (39 Steps, Greenmantle)

F Scott Fitzgerald (Great Gatsby)

WH Davies (Welsh popular poet and tramp, famous for his poem Leisure ("What is this life if, full of care, / We have no time to stand and stare.")

Politics: Neville Chamberlain, Leon Trotsky

Pulp fiction: Talbot Mundy, author of King of the Khyber Rifles (also a 1953 film)

On 24 Oct 2010, at 14:48, kaoru t wrote:

> Hi.
> If I pick one as the most important, it would be Taneda Santoka, a poet.
>
> I have never heard of any figure concerning the Public Domain effect in Japan.  I am afraid our awareness of "Public Domain" is still very low.  In fact people here didn't even know the word "Public Domain Day" until I talked about it in a forum of Aozora Bunko (a website offering PD works for free) last year.  We know that January 1st is the day when the works of certain authors enter the public domain, but it is only recently that we have begun to realize that it is the day to "celebrate".  Hopefully in 2011 there will be some activities to promote the awareness of PD Day and new PD authors.  (I myself am planning to talk about PD Day celebration to a local library.)
>
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 2:35 AM, J.C. DE MARTIN <demartin at polito.it> wrote:
> Hi Kaoru Tanaka,
>
> Thank you very much for your very helpful contribution.
>
> Of the Life+70 authors, which would you, in your opinion, single out as being more famous or relevant?
> We would be most glad to highlight some of them on
> www.publicdomainday.org, which in no way is meant to be restricted geographically.
>
> Also, I wonder if you in Japan have ever noticed any evidence of the
> so-called "Public Domain effect", that is, the sudden increase
> of availability of  the works of authors who have entered the public domain.
> Some numbers would be most helpful to illustrate the positive
> effect (for readers but also to increase competition among publishers)
> of the public domain,
>
> Many thanks!
>

> juan carlos
>
> prof. juan carlos de martin