[pd-discuss] Copyright of PD films on the internet

Adam Green adam.green at okfn.org
Thu Jan 6 14:24:29 UTC 2011

Hello there,

I am working on the recently launched Public Domain Review and wanted some
advice on copyright law regarding films. Although I am clear on the fact
that copyright expires "70 years from the end of the calendar year in which
the last principal director, author or composer dies", I am confused about
the copyright status of such films when they appear as uploaded versions on
the internet (as opposed to the original physical film stored away in some
archive). Often uploads will have been made from DVDs, which I understand
more often than not will assert their own copyright on the material (due to
the addition of menus, subtitle options, etc). Does this mean that the
version of the film which has been uploaded is also copyrighted? (Even if it
shows none of these new additions?) And what is the copyright status of an
uploaded film when no information is given about its source? Can it be
assumed that it is uploaded from some copyright-free original version, or is
it rather assumed it is from a copyrighted source?

Lots of questions! I would greatly appreciate if someone who knew what they
were talking about could shed some light on the matter! (if there is any
light to shed....)

All the best,

Adam.

--