[pd-discuss] Settting up a new public domain blog at publicdomain.okfn.org?

Christian Hufgard pd at christian-hufgard.de
Thu Jan 6 16:59:26 UTC 2011

Hi Jonathan,

> For a while I've been thinking about setting up a small blog for
> information for those interested in the public domain, aggregated from
> a variety of sources.
>
> E.g.
>
>   * guest blog posts about the public domain, why it is important, etc
>   * information about collections of public domain works
>   * updates from projects such as PublicDomainWorks.net, Public Domain
> Calculators
>   * etc etc
>
> What do people think? Is this useful? Overkill?

It depends. I'm blogging since about two years at
musik.klarmachen-zum-aendern.de about free culture with focus on music.
I'm getting meanwhile a medium amount of visitors, but most do not visit
that site because they want to be informed about free content. That's
becase content _is_ free. Maybe not legally, but you cannot prevent
digital data from being copied.

I think a blog focussing just on public domain content might be a little
bit limited. We should not fragment our forces to much. There are
already a lot of blogs out there focussing on various aspects of cultur.
So why not just join there and add your ideas there?

Christian