[pd-discuss] Contact between Wikimedia Foundation and Wellcome Trust regarding image collections?

Michael S. Hart hart at pglaf.org
Thu Jan 13 03:22:24 UTC 2011

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Jonathan Gray wrote:

> Thanks for your email, Michael!
>
> While the Open Knowledge Foundation is, as you correctly point out, a
> not-for-profit organisation rather than a for-profit entity (and there
> is no other 'non-open' commercial agenda), nevertheless as an
> organisation it is committed to promoting open knowledge as defined in
> the Open Knowledge Definition (opendefinition.org) - i.e. material
> which others are free to reuse and distribute for any purpose, not
> just material which we ourselves can display as part of our various
> projects.

As I understand it, and perhaps my understanding is incorrect,
this is not "not just material which we ourselves can display"
etc. . .However, I do see the difference as in "for any purpose,"
so I suggest creating at least two divisions in your display area
that would include ONE "for any purpose" [other than plagiarism],
and TWO "for any purpose" other than commercial.

I think that you would get a lot more accomplishe via the same or
similar contruction, than if you insisted on "for any purpose,"
other than plagiarism [of course].

Michael S. Hart
Founder
Project Gutenberg,