[pd-discuss] Contact between Wikimedia Foundation and Wellcome Trust regarding image collections?

Alberto Cerda alberto at derechosdigitales.org
Thu Jan 13 15:24:35 UTC 2011

Hi Michael,

Sorry, but I don`t see the point of emphasizing the "other than plagiarism"
in a (cuasi) contractual term of use.

It seems to me practically the same than selling a multi-purpose knife, but
any other than killing people. If killing people is a legal obligation, well
set in domestic law, what is the purpose of saying that in the terms of use.
It can make sense if no legal restriction to kill people exist, but even in
that case we have moral duties, for instance in the Ten Commandments.

The same is true for plagiarism: some cases are cover by law (e.g., when
someone copy a whole book and change the name of the author) other by
ethical practices (e.g., when a professor writes an article without
recognizing resources).

If legal and ethical provisions already provide protection, what is the
purpose of emphasizing that?

A.