[pd-discuss] Hathitrust locks public domain books; amasses scans from others, and gives full access only to partners members

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Jun 21 10:45:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Javier Ruiz
<javier at openrightsgroup.org> wrote:
> (ii)
> stronger norms about how to publish public domain works.
> what kind of policy changes are you thinking of? EU PSI review?

Having *metadata* from cultural heritage organisations about which
works they hold included as part of the PSI Directive would be great -
though not sure how likely this is. (Crucially it is argued that lots
of organisations buy services/datasets and hence don't own relevant
rights themselves.)

But I meant more bottom up norms like PD Charter and PD Manifesto,
rather than top down policy mandate.

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator