[pd-discuss] Hathitrust locks public domain books; amasses scans from others, and gives full access only to partners members

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Tue Jun 21 09:33:47 UTC 2011

I agree with

(i) building stronger networks of 'pro-open'
cultural heritage organisations, NGOs,  companies, etc,

for example the Open Genealogy Alliance, Communia, all important.

but the situation requires concrete changes elsewhere by those organisations
that are not "pro-open" yet, and have clear economic stakes based on the
privatisation of the commons.

In this particular case it would be important to know why there are
restrictions.

It may be down to Hathi's business model, but I don't think the sales of
printed "beautiful copies" would be harmed by pdf downloads.

If it relates to Google's restrictions in the deal then it is a different
matter.

In any case, changing the situation will require some form of action. This
could possibly be about reputation for Hathi, and for Google something like
pressure on future deals by students at universities, for example.

(ii)
stronger norms about how to publish public domain works.

what kind of policy changes are you thinking of? EU PSI review?

Javier