[pd-discuss] PD help

Alberto Cerda alberto at derechosdigitales.org
Wed Mar 9 01:51:32 UTC 2011

Just last May, Chile rejected an old law, according to which if, by the time
of finishing the term of protection (life plus 70), the right holder of the
copyright were the widow of the author or one of his single daughters, the
term was extended to cover the whole life of that woman. It was a kind of
gender protection clause, but a very odd, because it forced to face real
archeological work in order to determine whether a given work was in the
public domain. But, that legal clause is over.

Also, someone told me long time ago that some countries in the West of
Europe restated the copyright of some authors after the end of the Cold War.
Is that true?

A.