[pd-discuss] Using an intermediate language for pdcalc proposal

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Mar 10 11:01:19 UTC 2011

On 10 March 2011 10:56, Matthew Mundell <matt at mundell.ukfsn.org> wrote:
>> I think the problem is your intermediate language ends being quite
>> complicated but the working group is producing 'flow-charts' [2] from
>> experts as our main intermediate step.
>>
>> [2]: http://publicdomaincalculators.okfn.org/flowcharts/
>
> Maybe the flowcharts should be more formalised, so that anyone can generate
> a calculator given a flowchart.  An XML document perhaps.

I believe that the folks at Kennisland (Maarten Zeinstra in cc) did
pursue this approach and I looked at it. I'm sure Maarten can give
more feedback.

The basic issue IMO is that a) you need a fully expressive schema
language b) you have to translate that schema into code. By the time
you've got a schema that is expressive enough and translators you may
as well have just used code -- your schema will need conditionals,
loops etc and so it will start looking a lot like a programming
language in which case so why not just use a proper one in the first
place ...

Rufus