[pd-discuss] Using an intermediate language for pdcalc proposal

Maarten Zeinstra mz at kl.nl
Thu Mar 10 11:13:35 UTC 2011

Hi all,

The open source public domain calculator that Europeana is developing uses an intermediary XML file to store calculators.
On 15th of April 2011 we will launch a dissemination platform for this tool along with 15 European Jurisdictions (30 by June), implementation guide, etc.

The format also enables automatic calculation, although this proves to be difficult. My generic format has zero tolerance, in contrast to the OKFN's version which can give an estimated guess.

@Platonides I have been looking to push this software to mediawiki, if you would like to collaborate with me on this I could give you the format, java code for the parsers and some pointers to develop this in any language you like. I have an Toolserver account so we can also test it using that platform.

@rufus: As a software developer I like to put as little data in an algorithm as possible. Data is usually not as static as algorithm, separating the two layers greatly increases maintainability of these tools.

I've also written a parser from yEd open source flowchart tool to this XML format, that enables easy creation of new flowcharts.

The Europeana calculator is on a strict development and publication track. Which makes collaboration sometimes a little less flexible.
If any of you is interested in this XML format and/or Europeana's tools please contact me or keep your eye on this list for the official announcement of that platform.

Best,

Maarten Zeinstra

Kennisland | Knowledgeland

T: +31.20.575.6720 | M: +31.6.43.053.919 | S: mzeinstra
www.kennisland.nl | www.knowledgeland.org