[pd-discuss] Public Domain Day 2012

Severine Dusollier severine.dusollier at fundp.ac.be
Tue Nov 15 09:20:09 UTC 2011

The duration of copyright is governed by the law of the country where
protection is claimed. So a foreign work requesting protection in Italy
for instance will be protected according to the Italian law and duration.
But the Berne Convention (art.7.8) authorises the countries to compare
the duration of the country of protection and that of country of origin,
and apply only the shortest (but not shorter than life plus 50 years
imposed by Berne...).
Actually, the European Union applies the rule of term comparison (or
rule of the shorter term) as imposed by the Term Directive (art. 7.1.).
But the US does not. That means that Tagore's works will be protected in
the EU for 60 years after his death but will have the same duration in
the US than US works.

Severine