[pd-discuss] Fwd: [Wikimedia Education] Public Domain Detective and other ways we might collaborate

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 22:24:45 UTC 2012

Reforwarding.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia Education] Public Domain Detective and other ways
we might collaborate
To: Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>, pd-discuss at lists.okfn.org
Cc: okfn-boston at googlegroups.com, Jane Park <janepark at creativecommons.org>,
Adam Green <adam.green at okfn.org>, Sam Leon <sam.leon at okfn.org>, Joris Pekel
<joris.pekel at okfn.org>, Primavera De Filippi <primavera.defilippi at okfn.org>

Too many lists!  How I wish my Coralline message system was up and
running...

Okay, here's what we need:

STATS:
A set of bite-sized stats we can compile about the "PD Delta Function" that
goes into effect Jan 1.  Number of pages, number of derivatives or related
works made, number of historical readers.

A similar set of stats about last year's crop.  Including the year's data
on how things have changed:  the (change in) the number of sales of works;
the number of Google hits for searches, the number of sites making works
available online, the number of refs to such works in research?

VISUALS:
A good fast snarky designer.  I have the Cards Against Humanity guys in
mind because of their fun recent wikimedia stunt,[1] but anyone will do.

An [annual] poster summarizing such data.  Prototype for a future year, for
instance.  This can be a canonical web-infographic b/c of limited time.

ONE DOWNLOAD:
A torrent that we can encourage everyone to seed and download.  Someone
gets to be responsible for compiling the darn thing by Dec. 31 and posting
it at the new year.  This is "as complete as it can be made on the morning
of Dec. 31"

METADATA LIST:
A spreadsheet with metadata of things entering PD, including a canonical
link for a page that will contain the (revised over time) links to sources.
 We get to choose where that link goes, but it should be an archive that
will host such a page permanently for each work.  Wikisource is ok if
there's no obvious alternative.  OL is only for books, unfortunately.  An
archive that generates and maintains UUIDs would be even better.

If we have those four things, this will be a smashing hit.  Other thigns
like trying to make the lst comprehensive will take time and can be a goal
for next PD Day.

SJ

[1] http://www.cardsagainsthumanity.com/holidaystats/