[pd-discuss] GATT copyright restoration rules misinterpreted by hathitrust? (and public domain remaining locked...)

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 19:20:35 UTC 2012

Thanks Peter.  After I bit of rummaging around their web site, I discovered
that they distribute all their volume information on a regular basis in the
form of "hathifiles <http://www.hathitrust.org/hathifiles>".  They do
monthly full dumps, but they also do daily update files which can be used
to track changes resulting from their review process (as well as other
reasons).

Here's the Le Georgiche record:

uc1.b3158030    deny    ic      006111887               UC
 GLAD151515868-B 43010434                                Le Georgiche /
Celso Ulpiani.     Marescalchi, 1927.      bib     2009-07-25 23:30:06
0       1927    it      ita     BK

The "ic" means "in copyright" and that column would be "pd" for "public
domain" if they'd made that determination.  The last update was 2009-07-25
23:30:06 so it may still be in the queue for their review.  They certainly
haven't made any recent determination on it.

Unfortunately they don't include author information (the "Celso Ulpiani" is
in title field here), so one would need to use the OCLC/LCCN/ISBN numbers
to find the volume's author somewhere else. e.g.
http://www.worldcat.org/title/georgiche/oclc/43010434

It's still a great resource though.  I was curious what the distribution of
statuses was, so here they are:

     81 allow   cc-by
    363 allow   cc-by-nc
    665 allow   cc-by-nc-nd
   2824 allow   cc-by-nc-sa
      2 allow   cc-by-nd
     19 allow   cc-by-sa
    597 allow   cc-zero
   6492 allow   ic-world
2109710 allow   pd
1148220 allow   pdus
  21119 allow   und-world
6555610 deny    ic
    937 deny    nobody
   2724 deny    op
 759702 deny    und

3.2 million public domain volumes isn't too shabby!  It's only a third of
their collection, but it's still a pretty big number.

Tom