[pd-discuss] GATT copyright restoration rules misinterpreted by hathitrust? (and public domain remaining locked...)

Peter B. Hirtle pbh6 at cornell.edu
Thu Dec 20 18:30:53 UTC 2012

Tom asks: "Is this list of titles available somewhere?  Since we're coming up to Public Domain Day 2013, it would probably be of interest to folks."

I don't know of such a list, but you could ask the staff at Michigan.  I got the numbers from the HT November update at http://www.hathitrust.org/updates_november2012.

And just to be clear, these are not titles that have entered the public domain but rather scanned titles that HT has determined are currently in the public domain because, for example, their authors died more than 70 years prior to 1996.

And I should have added in my note as well that I am not a HathiTrust reviewer and am not part of the CRMS-World project (other than serving on its Advisory Working Group).  If you want an official response, it should probably come from Bobby Glushko, the program manager.

I have, however, been impressed by the great care the CRMS-World project has taken to ensure that the copyright determination process is accurate and efficient.  This means that they are setting aside for now some titles that are likely in the public domain if it is not easy to establish their status.  The goal is to identify all the "low-hanging fruit" as quickly as possible and provide access to the greatest possible number of titles.

Best,
Peter

 (BTW, according to HathiTrust's November update, the CRMS-World project has reviewed over 30,000 titles and opened over 15,000 of them to the world for public access.)

Is this list of titles available somewhere?  Since we're coming up to Public Domain Day 2013, it would probably be of interest to folks.

Tom