[pd-discuss] GATT copyright restoration rules misinterpreted by hathitrust? (and public domain remaining locked...)

fred.harris fred.harris-9ouuy49w at yopmail.com
Thu Dec 20 13:50:01 UTC 2012

Peter B. Hirtle said

> Copyright was only restored in works that were not in the public
> domain in their home country as of 1 January 1996 (or the date of
> adherence to the Berne Convention or WTO, if later).
[...]
but, (correct me if I'm wrong). I think this  point produces confusion
that is what copyright cartel wanted - ) this does not mean that works
IN COPYRIGHT will be FOREVER IN COPYRIGHT.  A work that was  IN
COPYRIGHT IN ITS SOURCE COUNTRY in 1996, once its copyright will expire
  IN ITS SOURCE COUNTRY, will be in public domain also in USA

Let's make an example:

the works by *Stampini, Ettore (1855-1930)*

entered in public domain in Italy in 2000 [source country] (1930+70)=2000

from this date, Ettore Stampini's works are in PUBLIC DOMAIN WORLDWIDE,
since in  SOURCE COUNTRY, copyright expired (following the right
interpretation of GATT) [I'm especially referring to circular 38b by
Copyright Office)
- http://www.copyright.gov/gatt.html

but, the confusion produced by superficial GATT READINGS, produced this
reply by Hathitrust for this book

*Le Georgiche di Virgilio, commentate da Ettore Stampini*
- http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/008235250

"DUE TO THE GATT TREATY, THIS VOLUME IS IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN IN ITALY
AND OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD, BUT NOT IN THE UNITED STATES. WE HAVE BEEN
WORKING ON CONFIGURING OUR TECHNICAL SYSTEMS TO ACCOMMODATE THIS
CIRCUMSTANCE, BUT SOME WORK IS REMAINING. I AM TOLD THAT WE SHOULD HAVE
EVERYTHING IN PLACE IN LATE JANUARY OR EARLY FEBRUARY. AT THAT POINT,
THIS VOLUME WILL BECOME AVAILABLE."

the statement *THIS VOLUME IS IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN IN ITALY AND OTHER
PARTS OF THE WORLD, BUT NOT IN THE UNITED STATES*

is wrong for me

since GATT rules cannot to be intended in this way, otherwise, we make
GATT able to impose PERPETUAL COPYRIGHT ON WORKS WHOSE COPYRIGHT EXPIRED
IN ITS SOURCE COUNTRY. that would be an absurdity and a thing out of
scope of treatise (but probably in minds of copyright cartel)

For every author, every year, after the 1996, to decide if he/she/it is
in public domain in USA, GATT says that we must look at copyright status
in source country, and we will have two different cases

1 - in his source country, author is in copyright? He remains in
copyright also in USA

2 - in his source country, author is out of copyright, so, is in public
domain, and failing one of the requirements (that need to all satisfied)
for copyright restoration, this author is in public domain also in USA

I'm not a lawyer, I repeat, but documentation about  GATT, and
especially the Highlights of Copyright Amendments Contained in the URAA
(circular 38b)
- http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ38b.pdf

seem to me pretty clear, otherwise, we transform a law with its
fundamentals and logic in a MONSTRUM IURIDICUM, that keeps away
*forever* USA people from public domain works even if they are in PUBLIC
DOMAIN

it is logical that copyright status needs to verified every year, as
times goes by and cannot to be FIXED once and for all, since, as times
goes by, a work enters in public domain

excuse me, for to be so verbose (shame to me if I'm wrong), Mr. Hirtle,
you are surely wiser than me on this side