[pd-discuss] GATT copyright restoration rules misinterpreted by hathitrust? (and public domain remaining locked...)

Peter B. Hirtle pbh6 at cornell.edu
Fri Dec 21 23:25:37 UTC 2012

It is not necessarily true that all of Ettore Stampini's works are in the public domain in the U.S., even though they may be in the public domain in their source country.  On 1 January 1996, the US "restored" copyright in those works.  According to 17 USC 104A(a)(1)(b), each work received in the US " the term of copyright that the work would have otherwise been granted in the United States if the work never entered the public domain in the United States."  That means that works of Stampini's published after 1922 would get a 95 year copyright term, regardless of when he died, since US works get a 95 year term.  That is how an Italian work can be in the public domain in Italy but still be protected in the U.S.  Conversely, you can have Italian works that are still protected by copyright in Italy, but if they were published before 1923, they are in the public domain in the U.S.

Unfortunately when it comes to US copyright law, "wisdom" is never at issue.  Merry Christmas!

Peter