[pd-discuss] googlebooks: the strange case of public domain books left in snippet view (for years and ignoring users complaints)

Sara Wingate Gray sara.gray at okfn.org
Wed Jun 27 12:24:09 UTC 2012

Hi,
I, too, have been using the google link to report to google a public domain title. What is *even* more odd in this instance, is that I accessed this text in *full view* in google books during January 2012 as part of my PhD research, only to return to it in February to find that it had been *removed* from public view and turned into *no view*.

The irony being additionally, that the title I was trying to access/had previously accessed  was about public libraries and access to knowledge. The title *is* in public domain as it was published in 1848 (this edition). I have luckily been able to find another original copy of this title, due to my 'academic' access, but this does not remove the issue that this title was at first public domain and then removed by google from this view (and they have since not responded to any of my reports re this title, which I too have sent monthly)

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=blxzuAAACAAJ&dq=letter+to+earl+ellesmere+edward+edwards&hl=en&sa=X&ei=iPjqT92QAebM0QXMurDRBQ&redir_esc=y

'A Letter to the Right Honourable The Earl of Ellesmere, Chairman of Her majesty's Commission of Inquiry into the Management of the British Museum on the desirability of a better provision of public library in the british empire etc'. Edward Edwards, London, 1848, T.C. Savill, Printer, Covent Garden