[pd-discuss] googlebooks: the strange case of public domain books left in snippet view (for years and ignoring users complaints)

dingodog at fastmail.fm dingodog at fastmail.fm
Wed Jun 27 13:52:56 UTC 2012

thanks for interesting

here a little list of most relevant public domain books I tried in vain
to get unlocked by googlebooks. Since somtimes googlebooks changes
links, I add the title so work can be found anyway

1) LA DIVINA COMMEDIA DI DANTE ALLIGHIERI COMMENTATA PER LE SCUOLE E PER
GLI STUDIOSI DA GIOVANNI FEDERZONI

author (Giovanni Federzoni), died in 1923
- (birth:Bologna, 1849 - death: Roma, 1923)

biographical source for birth and death date: *Dizionario Biografico
degli Italiani - Volume 45 (1995)*  (this series of biographical
dictionary was published by  ISTITUTO DELL'ENCICLOPEDIA ITALIANA
**Treccani** and is the most authoritative source for biographical data
about historical Italian figures)
- online version:
http://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/giovanni-federzoni_(Dizionario_Biografico)/

so, his works are largely in public domain, since more than 70 year
passed from his death (1923 + 70 = 1994 as copyright expiration date,
ans now we are in 2012!)

http://books.google.it/books?id=W84OAAAAIAAJ ( volume 1 - Inferno)
http://books.google.com/books?id=G3sVAAAAYAAJ (volume 2 - Purgatorio)
http://books.google.com/books?id=kHsVAAAAYAAJ (volume 3 - Paradiso)

this is the famous book I'm trying to get unlocked since 2009!!! I think
it is a world record for google of ignoring requests!

======================================

2) LA DIVINA COMMEDIA (all three parts of Dante's work commented by
Isidoro del Lungo in one whole volume)

Isidoro del Lungo: (Montevarchi 20 dic. 1841 - Firenze 4 may 1927)

biographical source for birth and death date: *Dizionario Biografico
degli Italiani - Volume 38 (1990)  *
-
http://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/isidoro-del-lungo_(Dizionario-Biografico)/

- http://books.google.it/books?id=bVkHAQAAIAAJ

in addition to this work, all other books by *Isidoro del Lungo* are in
public domain and must be unlocked for full view
======================================

3) all books present as a scans in google by

Enrico Mèstica (Tolentino 1856 - Apiro, Macerata, 1936); [1936 + 70 =
2007 as copyright expiration date]

biographical source for birth and death date: *Dizionario Biografico
degli Italiani - Volume 74 (2010)*
- on line version:
http://www.treccani.it/enciclopedia/enrico-mestica_(Dizionario-Biografico)/
======================================

4) all works present as scans in googlebooks index by

Alfredo Della Pura (1852-1930)  - [1930+70= 2001 as copyright expiration
date]

biographical source for birth and death date found in this book: *A
commemorazione di Alfredo Della Pura, 1852-1930 - nel trigesimo della
morte
Pisa - Augusto Vallerini, 1930, S. Tip.)*

this is a short list, these are the most relevant books I'm trying to
get unlocked in full view since years without any results (or reply by
google).

  dingodog at fastmail.fm