[pd-discuss] Music in the Public Domain

Angelopoulos, C.J. C.J.Angelopoulos at uva.nl
Mon May 7 22:50:55 UTC 2012

Hi Adam,

Maarten is right: the unauthorised performance of a work is internationally understood to constitute an infringement of the exclusive rights of the copyright owner - see Article 11 of the Berne Convention or, to give a national example, the UK’s s. 19 CDPA.

I agree that intuitively this doesn't seem to make much sense, but you have to remember that technically speaking not all recordings will be protected by copyright - for example, non-original sound recordings will attract no copyright, meaning that after the expiry of related rights they can be freely re-used. Also, the rights conferred to the different kinds of rightholders are often different in nature - as a result, when the rights of the performers and phonogram producers, for example, expire, communication to the public will not require payment of equitable remuneration to the collecting society representing them (PPL, SENA, etc...), although the exclusive rights of the copyright-holders may still need to be cleared. It is also important to remember that each of these types of rights goes to different people: the recording company holds some, the performers others, the authors others – this means that when one of them loses their rights they are unlikely to be comforted by the fact that the others still retain protection, thus explaining the lobbying for term extensions.