[pd-discuss] Happy Public Domain Day

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 13:06:02 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM, fred.harris
<fred.harris-9ouuy49w at yopmail.com> wrote:
> here my list for ITALIAN AUTHORS ENTERING IN PUBLIC DOMAIN IN 2013
>
> ”Bertoni Giulio”
> ”Modena, 26 agosto 1878 – Roma, 28 maggio 1942″
> his works will enter in public domain since 29/05/2013

Thanks for the list and being explicit about when they enter the
public domain.  Not being familiar with all the countries' laws, I was
wondering if the anniversaries worked on a January 1 calendar basis
(particularly given that that's the date chosen for PD domain).  This
seems to make it clear that, at least for Italy, it's 70 years from
the date of death, not tied to Jan. 1.

I wonder if we shouldn't be focusing on authors who died in 1941 who's
works became public domain in the last year and are all now available,
rather than ones which won't be available until the coming months.
Thoughts?

Tom