[pd-discuss] PRESS RELEASE : Gale releases all its public domain content freely on the open web

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Wed Jan 9 17:00:28 UTC 2013

On 9 January 2013 14:38, John Mark Ockerbloom <ockerblo at pobox.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Do we have verification on this?  I don't see a mention on the
> main Gale site, and for some reason the access mechanism they
> provide is a "downloader" program you have to install on
> your machine.  I'd love this to be true, but I want to make
> sure this isn't a hoax (with or without possible malware).

http://galecengage-publicdomain.com/Times.htm

...hmm, you're right, this is a little odd. The Excel scripts provided
generate valid-seeming links to ggsrv.com -
http://callisto.ggsrv.com/imgsrv/Fetch?contentSet=LT&recordID=0FFO-1884-JUL28-001-F
- but without the PD marks implied by the page.

gale.com, cengage.com, etc are all registered directly to Gale;
galecengage-publicdomain.com is registered to a private hosting firm
in Germany. All very odd!

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk