[pd-discuss] books2ebooks.eu - E-Books on Demand

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 15:05:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Estermann Beat <beat.estermann at bfh.ch>wrote:

> As far is I know, some institutions include the digitized works in their
> online catalogues; but I’m not sure whether all of them do so.****
>
> In any case, you could order a copy for free (this is the basic principle
> of the service).

Do you have a link to an example?  I tried a few searches and couldn't
figure out anything obvious.

> To bring it one step further, one could try to get them to contribute the
> files to Project Gutenberg, Wikisource, Project Runenberg and the like in
> order to do OCR and proof-read the texts. However, I’m not sure whether
> these projects are able to process much more material than what they are
> already getting now. – Does anyone know?

The Distributed Proofreaders project at Project Gutenberg and Project
Runeberg both have more material than they can process, as far as I know,
but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful to contribute the page images
and OCR'd text.  If nothing else, it would allow the new volumes to compete
with other works for the attention of the proofreaders.  Volunteers get to
work on whatever material interests them, so there's a chance that these
works could jump to the head of the queue if they're interesting enough.

Tom