[Pdr] Wisdom from Google Analytics

Jonathan Gray j.gray at cantab.net
Mon Mar 12 21:54:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Adam Green <mradamrgreen at googlemail.com> wrote:
> yes 5000 is around normal,, though often more (no article last week)

Cool! That seems like a reasonable number of visitors!

>>  * Nearly a half of those are from the US - so we definitely need to
>> do more to promote the PDR out here (currently in San Francisco)
>
> yes we definitely do, lots of people there in that place

I think we should definitely try and distribute lots of postcards
here. If someone can find out about getting the images we have
converted to US sizes (would this be Kat?), then I can do a big
distribution in San Francisco.

>>  * Nearly a third of those are referred from StumbleUpon - is there
>> anything we can do to build on this? Other social web services that we
>> could get on?
>>
> this is all from one thing that was on stumbleupon,, the norway landscape
> photographs. nowhere near this high normally, but yes proof that social
> media is very useful in getting stuff spread around. should we perhaps be
> doing some sneaky infiltration,, does anyone know how stumbleupon actually
> works?? tumblr?? digg?? i really dont know how these work but will
> investigate....

Wow. In which case, we should definitely try and make sure that lots
of our stuff (especially beautiful collections of stuff) goes out on
StumbleUpon and suchlike. I expect there are rating mechanisms which
mean that some things are more popular than others?

--
Jonathan Gray
http://jonathangray.org