[Product] 'API' has been assigned to katelyn.rogers

David Thoumas david.thoumas at opendatasoft.com
Fri Nov 8 06:46:03 UTC 2013

Hi Darren,

Just found your message on the mailing list.

For your information, we have, at OpenDataSoft, worked a bit with the POD database. See http://pod.opendatasoft.com.

As you can see, we have created datasets out of the original database (that we constantly update to reflect fast changing POD database content).

Here they are:
- GTIN Codes (joined with GLN, brands and groups information): http://pod.opendatasoft.com/explore/dataset/pod_gtin/#?tab=table
- GCP Codes (joined with GLN information): http://pod.opendatasoft.com/explore/dataset/pod_gcp/#?tab=table
- Brands: http://pod.opendatasoft.com/explore/dataset/pod_brand/#?tab=table
- GTIN Codes with nutrition information (joined with GLN, brands and groups information): http://pod.opendatasoft.com/explore/dataset/pod_nutrition_us/#?tab=table

Our approach is search based. Every dataset comes with its exploration console and the corresponding API. Anything you can do with the UI, you can also do it with the APIs.

Here are a few examples with the main GTIN dataset (pod_gtin):
- To retrieve the description of the dataset (and the list of available fields for querying): http://pod.opendatasoft.com/api/datasets/1.0/pod_gtin
- To search for GTIN codes containing the word "Cola" in one of their textual fields: http://pod.opendatasoft.com/api/records/1.0/search?dataset=pod_gtin&q=cola&facet=gpc_s_nm&facet=brand_nm&facet=group_nm&facet=gln_nm&facet=prefix_nm
- To search for GTIN codes whose package weights more than 100 oz: http://pod.opendatasoft.com/api/records/1.0/search?dataset=pod_gtin&q=m_oz+%3E+100&facet=gpc_s_nm&facet=brand_nm&facet=group_nm&facet=gln_nm&facet=prefix_nm

When using the data exploration console, you can switch to the API tab to understand how you can perform similar using the API: http://pod.opendatasoft.com/explore/dataset/pod_gtin/#?tab=api&q=m_oz%20%3E%20100

The API also has aggregation and analytics capabilities. We are currently fixing the documentation …

Of course, this API is and will stay free of use.

Do not hesitate to come back to me if you have any question, comments and feedbacks you would like to share.

With my best regards,

--
Bien cordialement, / Best Regards,

David Thoumas