[Product] US Government Interest in Open Product Data

Stéphane Gigandet stephane at openfoodfacts.org
Thu Sep 26 12:48:32 UTC 2013

Hi Katelyn and Everyone,

This is great news. I am the founder of Open Food Facts and I support
all the initiatives that can bring more information to consumers so that
they can better choose what they eat and drink. Today we are using
mostly crowdsourcing to get the data from the products themselves, but
hopefully with initiatives such as this one, we will get more and more
data directly from the producers.

There are two directions that can be pushed:

1. Encouraging producers / manufacturers to publish as open data the
product data that is already present on the product labels today.

2. Encouraging producters / manufacturers to publish more data that what
is on the label today. There is a space contraint on printed labels, but
not for data made available on the internet. e.g. for Food products, it
would be great to have the quantity of all ingredients, and a more
comprehensive list of nutrients for nutrition facts.

I am definitely interested in participating in mapping the Food products
space. We have been working with some researchers to create an ontology
to describe food products (ingredients, nutrition facts etc.):
http://data.lirmm.fr/ontologies/food
It is a work in progress, we are looking forward to working with others
to define a common ontology and thus maximize the potential for re-use.

Thank you,

Stéphane
http://openfoodfacts.org