[Product] Packaging and Recycling

Pierre Slamich pierre.slamich at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 09:22:13 UTC 2014

Hello Elf,

Just to chime in from the OpenFoodFacts side, as we've started looking at
those questions as well:

- We have started a very basic packaging taxonomy, based on the codes that
are available on packaging. We do not use the codes yet on OpenFoodFacts,
but since we have photos of the packaging, we'll be able to add it. We
already have a packaging field that takes whatever our contributors input,
since the packaging codes greatly vary.
http://en.wiki.openfoodfacts.org/Packaging_taxonomy

- We have started building various databases that could be of use for
supply chains: food packager (not packaging) code, fish MSC codes, bio
codes. Those one are updated often, and we want to do things properly, ie
building a simple crawler to get the latest versions from each European
country (and from Europe for imports) and compile them. We need help on
those.
https://github.com/openfoodfacts

https://github.com/openfoodfacts/eu-food-data
https://github.com/openfoodfacts/msc-codes
https://github.com/openfoodfacts/bio-codes

More generally, OFF has a trove of open, photo-backed, crowdsourced data
(see for instance:
http://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/3302741859105/paella-valenciana-fleury-michon)
using smartphones.
POD uses the topdown approach to collect info at a wider scale, but with
less detail (esp. for ingredients, calories).

sincerely,
Pierre - pierre at openfoodfacts.org