[PDR] As a Lute out of Tune: Robert Burton’s Melancholy

The Public Domain Review okfn.adam.green at googlemail.com
Wed May 1 17:04:04 UTC 2013

Inline images 1

New Article

Inline images 1

*

  AS A LUTE OUT OF TUNE: ROBERT BURTON’S MELANCHOLY

*
In 1621 Robert Burton first published his masterpiece /The Anatomy of
Melancholy/, a vast feat of scholarship examining in encyclopaedic
detail that most enigmatic of maladies. Noga Arikha explores the book,
said to be the favorite of both Samuel Johnson and Keats, and places it
within the context of the humoural theory so popular at the time.**
**
Read More »
<http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/05/01/as-a-lute-out-of-tune-robert-burtons-melancholy/>

/*OUR FUNDRAISER ENDS TODAY, WEDNESDAY MAY 1ST!

*/You have until the close of day to make your donation. Come join the
amazing 600+ people who helped us reach our fundraising target last
week. We, of course, need all the funds we can muster, so please, if you
haven't donated yet now is the time!

Inline images 3 <http://publicdomainreview.org/support/>
/
/And remember there is also the matter of the beautiful Tote Bag, so if
you want one, you know what to do! We'll be offering one to everyone who
donates $40 or more.
Inline images 2 <http://publicdomainreview.org/support/>

Also check out the special super-extended version of our fundraiser
film, aptly renamed "SAVED!", and with a new happy ending!

See it here: http://publicdomainreview.org/support/

*New Collection Items*

    TEXTS IN SEBALD’S /THE RINGS OF SATURN/

w-g-sebald

Collection of the major texts of which, and through which, the German
writer W.G. Sebald speaks in his masterpiece The Rings of Saturn (1995)
- including Thomas Browne, A.C. Swinburne, Gustave Flaubert, Diderot and
Chateaubriand.Read More »
<http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/04/23/texts-in-sebalds-the-rings-of-saturn/>

    <http://publicdomainreview.org/2012/05/27/the-whole-booke-of-psalmes-collected-into-englishe-metre-1584/>

        LANTERN SLIDES OF NORWAY (CA.1910)

    SFFf-1992078 001

    A selection from a collection of early 20th century lantern slides
    held at the Fylkesarkivet of Sogn og Fjordane, a county in the west
    of Norway.

    Read More »
    <http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/04/29/lantern-slides-of-norway/>

    BIFURCATED GIRLS: VANITY FAIR SPECIAL ISSUE (1903)

birfucated-thumb

Not the same Vanity Fair of current fame, this was a version published
by The Commonwealth Publishing Company of New York City, incorporated in
February 1902 but which went bankrupt in April 1904 - and thought of as
the birth of the American "girlie magazine". Read More »
<http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/04/26/bifurcated-girls-vanity-fair-special-issue-1903/>

    JELLY ROLL MORTON (1927)

jellyrollmorton

A compilation of Jelly Roll Morton’s classic Chicago “Red Hot Peppers”
sessions, recorded in 1926-27.

Read More » <http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/04/19/jelly-roll-morton/>

FACEBOOK <https://www.facebook.com/PublicDomainReview>TWITTER
<https://twitter.com/#%21/publicdomainrev>PINTEREST
<http://pinterest.com/publicdomainrev/>FLATTR
<https://flattr.com/profile/publicdomainreview>

Inline images 5 <http://publicdomainreview.org/support/>

/*OUR FUNDRAISER ENDS TODAY, WEDNESDAY MAY 1ST!*/