[PDR] Athanasius Kircher and the Hieroglyphic Sphinx

The Public Domain Review okfn.adam.green at googlemail.com
Thu May 16 14:56:41 UTC 2013

Inline images 1

New Article

*Inline images 1*

ATHANASIUS KIRCHER AND THE HIEROGLYPHIC SPHINX

*More than 170 years before Jean-François Champollion had the first real
success in translating Egyptian hieroglyphs, the 17th century Jesuit
scholar Athanasius Kircher was convinced he had cracked it. He was very
wrong. Daniel Stolzenberg looks at Kircher's /Egyptian Oedipus/, a book
that has been called “one of the most learned monstrosities of all times.”*
Read More »
<http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/05/16/athanasius-kircher-and-the-hieroglyphic-sphinx/>

New Collection Items

    ILLUSTRATIVE PLATES FROM /HOW I KILLED THE TIGER/ (1902)

tiger-thumb

Selected plates from How I killed the tiger; being an account of my
encounter with a royal Bengal tiger, with an appendix containing some
general information about India (1902), a small book by Lieutenant
Colonel Frank Sheffield detailing his close brush with death by tiger.
Read More »
<http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/05/15/illustrative-plates-from-how-i-killed-the-tiger-1902/>

    <http://publicdomainreview.org/2012/05/27/the-whole-booke-of-psalmes-collected-into-englishe-metre-1584/>

        TRADITIONAL ITALIAN SONG WITH ZAMPOGNA AND CIARAMELLA (1920)

    Zampognari-thumb

    A Zampogna is an Italian bagpipe, and a Ciaramella is a small
    woodwind that plays the higher melody line over the Zampogna’s
    drone. This combination is often used for traditional Christmas
    music, as in this circa 1920 recording of a “Novena Di Natale” by
    uncredited performers. Read More »
    <http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/05/13/traditional-italian-song-with-zampogna-and-ciaramella-1920/>

    THE KAWANA TRIO (1919)

Kawana Trio (1_41)

A film by Hans A. Spanuth for the series “Spanuth’s Original Vod-A-Vil
Movies” filmed in Chicago. It shows the daring exploits of the the
Kawana Trio, described in the opening credits as “Artistic Foot
Jugglers”. Read More »
<http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/05/10/the-kawana-trio-1919/>

    17TH CENTURY ETHIOPIAN MANUSCRIPT: THE MIRACLES OF THE ARCHANGEL MICHAEL

archnagelmichael-thumb

A selection of folios from an illuminated manuscript of 17th century
Ethiopia, produced during the cultural boom, especially in painting,
brought about by the establishment of a permanent court at Gondar by the
Solomonic emperor Fasilädäs (who reigned 1632-67). Read More »
<http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/05/09/17th-century-ethiopian-manuscript-the-miracles-of-the-archangel-michael/>

    BIBLE SYMBOLS (1908)

biblesymbolsdesi00bear_0032-thumb

Bible symbols, designed and arranged to stimulate a greater interest in
the study of the Bible by both young and old. The choicest passages of
God’s word put in the fascinating garb of pictures by Frank Beard and
others. Read More »
<http://publicdomainreview.org/2013/05/07/bible-symbols-1908/>

FACEBOOK <https://www.facebook.com/PublicDomainReview>TWITTER
<https://twitter.com/#%21/publicdomainrev>PINTEREST