[School-of-data-announce] The Latest from the School of Data

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Thu Jul 4 21:28:12 UTC 2013

A bumper edition of the Latest from School of Data!
Travels Galore

   -

   Data Diva Michael Bauer, and OKF’s International Community Manager Zara
   Rahman completed their whirlwind tour of Latin America to meet the Data
   Lovers of the Continent and launch the Spanish language School of Data.
   Read about what they got up to on the OKFN
blog<http://blog.okfn.org/2013/07/01/meeting-the-latin-american-open-knowledge-community/>
   .
   -

   Meanwhile, Lucy was at the InfoActivism
camp<https://camp2013.tacticaltech.org/>,
   for an incredible week of learning about how activists use technology.
   There are tutorials (many, many tutorials), blog posts and writeups from
   the data expedition on mapping Key Points in South
Africa<http://www.r2k.org.za/national-key-points/> at
   the camp (the first data expedition to involve real bloodshed [explanation
   - coming soon]) in the pipeline.

*We’ll attempt to squeeze our brains dry of everything we learned and
document it for you but in the meantime, follow the #ttccamp13 hashtag and
Tactical Tech (@info_activism <https://twitter.com/info_activism>) for tips
in 140 characters from brave and brilliant folks at the camp.
*
Hola – Escuela De Datos!

   - Escuela De Datos <http://es.schoolofdata.org/>, the Spanish language
   version of School of Data, launched spectacularly at AbreLatam last
week<http://schoolofdata.org/2013/06/24/hola-escuela-de-datos/> Many
   thanks to everyone who helped it happen, especially Social
TIC<http://socialtic.org/>,
   the Hacks/Hackers communities in Chile and Argentina and the organisers of
   AbreLatam.

Since the launch – many organisations have been in touch to ask how they
can also start their own version in their country. We’ll be publishing a
local groups guide soon – so watch this space!

Get InvolvedCommunity Mentors

Our call for our pilot cohort of Community Mentors will stay open until
Friday, then we’ll get rolling on kitting them out to ghostbust data
trouble around the globe.

Haven’t had chance to sign up yet? Here’s your
opportunity<http://schoolofdata.org/get-started-as-a-community-mentor/>
.
Data Roundups

We’re looking for a new volunteer (or a team to take it in turns) to take
over the weekly Data Roundups from Neil Ashton, as he manages with small
baby!. If you are interested – please let us know on schoolofdata [at]
okfn.org.
Update: Garment Factory Expedition

One of the achievements of the teams at the Data Expedition on Garment
Factories<http://blog.okfn.org/2013/06/04/data-expedition-story-why-garment-retailers-need-to-do-more-in-bangladesh/>
back
in May was this dataset of
3,000<https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvdkMlz2NopEdEdIZ3d4VlFJQ0NkazhrWGFQdXZQMkE#gid=0>
factories
working for major apparel
brands<http://blog.okfn.org/2013/06/04/data-expedition-story-why-garment-retailers-need-to-do-more-in-bangladesh/>.
Since
some of you have mentioned ideas for follow-up investigations around the
data collected.

We will therefore do a *Google Hangout* tomorrow *Friday July 5th at 5PM
CET / 4PM BST / 11AM EDT - other time
zones<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Garment+Expedition+follow+up+Hangout&iso=20130705T11&p1=263&ah=1>
 *to share ideas about what we can do with the garment factory data.

Please sign up for the Google Hangout via the *sign up
form*<https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/forms/d/1XV5_CGRuff-ibEA0hoEhJCEC85VVGkR48xAQjHf8HDI/viewform>
and
let us know if you have suggestions for topics or investigations that you
would like to discuss!
Ask.SchoolofData.org <http://ask.schoolofdata.org/>

A very busy week for Ask.SchoolofData.Org <http://ask.schoolofdata.org/> –
here’s just a few of the questions which have been asked and need your help!

   - *UNANSWERED* Open Refine – is there a difference between a starred and
   a flagged row?<http://ask.schoolofdata.org/question/131/openrefine-is-there-a-difference-between-a-starred-and-a-flagged-row/>
   - Is it possible to make interactive data visualisation using
HTML5<http://ask.schoolofdata.org/question/113/it-it-possible-to-make-interactive-data-visualisation-using-html5/?sort=latest>
    ?
   - Is there any difference between a SVG and an AI
file?<http://ask.schoolofdata.org/question/106/is-there-any-difference-between-a-svg-and-an-ai-file/?sort=latest>

Thanks to new faces Andrew Duffy, “OpenSAS” for their help both in asking
and answering!
>From the blog

   - Data Roundup July
3<http://schoolofdata.org/2013/07/03/data-roundup-july-3/>
   - Slaughtering People: A Multimedia Investigation into the Global Market
   of Meat<http://schoolofdata.org/2013/06/28/slaughtering-people-a-multimedia-investigation-into-the-global-market-of-meat/>
   - Tax Avoidance and Evasion Expedition: Looking
back<http://schoolofdata.org/2013/06/27/tax-avoidance-and-evasion-expedition-looking-back/>
   - Data Roundup – June
26<http://schoolofdata.org/2013/06/26/data-roundup-june-26/>
   - Data MOOC – Findings, Results and
Recommendations<http://schoolofdata.org/2013/06/25/data-mooc-results-findings-and-recommendations/>
   - Cursive Data: Drawing by
Robots<http://schoolofdata.org/2013/06/24/cursive-data-drawing-by-robots/>
   .

*Ciao for now!*
*
*

--

**

*Lucy Chambers*

Project Coordinator  | skype: lucyfediachambers  |  tel: +44 7909 330731  |
 @lucyfedia <http://twitter.com/lucyfedia>

Empowering through Open Knowledge

http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on

OpenSpending | http://openspending.org/ |
@openspending<http://twitter.com/openspending>|Tracking every
government financial transaction across the world

School of Data | http://schoolofdata.org |
@schoolofdata<http://twitter.com/schoolofdata>| Evidence is Power