[School-of-data-announce] The Latest from the School of Data

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Mon Jul 29 19:20:46 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Did you miss us? Here's the latest from what we have been up to!

## Data Diva Travels the World

School of Data’s Diva Michael Bauer is going to be in Nairobi, Kenya at the
beginning of August. He plans to run a Data Expedition with the Data
Dredger people at Internews and do an event with Hacks/Hackers Nairobi. If
you’re interested in meeting him while he's there or know of people he
should be in contact with: ping @mihi_tr or email schoolofdata at okfn.org

## Community mentors ready to roll

Thank you so much to all of you who applied to be community mentors, we've
had such a great response that we can't induct everyone at once.

We're currently inducting the first round of mentors and as soon as we are
underway - will get rolling with the next round!

Missed the signup? Take a look here:
http://schoolofdata.org/get-started-as-a-community-mentor/

## Big up some awesome tools

There hasn't been enough noise made about these amazing tools which have
recently come out - so we wanted to tell you about them:

* The Open Corporates new visualisation tool to visualise global company
networks:
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/07/11/using-public-data-to-flag-tax-avoidance-schemes/

* Tabula - a tool for extracting tables out of PDFS has released a desktop
version: http://jazzido.github.io/tabula/
* Dictionary of numbers:
http://flowingdata.com/2013/07/08/dictionary-of-numbers-extension-adds-context-to-numbers/

## Get Involved

** Fancy being the curator of the School of Data Handbook? "Librarians"
needed:* We've been producing loads of material and publishing it via the
blog - we need people to take them, librarian-style and pull them into the
Data Wrangling Handbook and course pages.

We'll aim to organise several librarian sprints over the next couple of
months to update the handbook - so if you want to join the team to make the
Handbook your baby, give us a shout on schoolofdata [at] okfn.org

## Ask.Schoolofdata.org

Some great questions getting asked in the forum - can you help? Here's a
selection.

   - Extracting Data using Twitter
API<http://ask.schoolofdata.org/question/151/extracting-data-using-twitter-api/?sort=latest>
    (new question, 1 ans, 1 ans rev)
   - Width and height of each
country<http://ask.schoolofdata.org/question/149/width-and-height-of-each-country/?sort=latest>
    (new question)
   - Google News
API<http://ask.schoolofdata.org/question/138/google-news-api/?sort=latest>
    (1 ans, 1 ans rev)
   - Geocoding APIs? Which one to
choose?<http://ask.schoolofdata.org/question/22/geocoding-apis-which-one-to-choose/?sort=latest>
    (1 ans, 1 ans rev)
   - How can I find a set URLs for the lat and long of the all the points
   on an embedded google
map<http://ask.schoolofdata.org/question/143/how-can-i-find-a-set-urls-for-the-lat-and-long-of-the-all-the-points-on-an-embedded-google-map/?sort=latest>
    (1 ans, 1 ans rev)

That's all for now folks!

Lucy

--

**

*Lucy Chambers*

Project Coordinator  | skype: lucyfediachambers  |  tel: +44 7909 330731  |
 @lucyfedia <http://twitter.com/lucyfedia>

Empowering through Open Knowledge

http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on

OpenSpending | http://openspending.org/ |
@openspending<http://twitter.com/openspending>|Tracking every
government financial transaction across the world

School of Data | http://schoolofdata.org |
@schoolofdata<http://twitter.com/schoolofdata>| Evidence is Power