[School-of-data-announce] The latest from the School of Data

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Wed Jun 5 22:39:26 UTC 2013

Howdy all,

In case you've missed anything, here's the latest on what's been happening
at the School. (Also in blog post form:
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/06/06/the-latest-from-the-school-of-data-3/)

## School of Data goes Spanish

Next month, a couple of the team will be headed over to Latin America for a
series of warm-up events for the launch of the Spanish version of School of
Data. The School will be launched at the AbreLatam conference in Uruguay.

On their way to Uruguay, they will be passing through Bolivia, Chile and
Argentina. Know an organisation or amazing individual doing great things
with data they should meet up with on the way? Please drop us a line on
schoolofdata [at] okfn.org.

Thank you to the amazing organisations and individuals who are helping to
make this happen, including Social-TIC (Mexico), DATA (Uruguay), the local
Knight Fellows and the Hacks/Hackers network.

## Data Clinics

Over at, OpenSpending, Anders Pedersen is running bi-weekly data clinics to
help people troubleshoot their spending data, from getting better data, to
cleaning, analysing and visualising the data.

The next clinic will happen on Wednesday 19th June in the evening.

Have data you want to bring along to troubleshoot? Join the OpenSpending
mailing list (http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/openspending), or
email info [at] openspending.org for more details on the upcoming clinics.

## Data Expeditions

### Mapping the Garment Factories

Some participants of the Mapping the Garments Factories expedition couldn't
get enough and carried on their expedition into the week. A few
participants have written a [writeup](
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/06/04/data-expedition-story-why-garment-retailers-need-to-do-more-in-bangladesh/)
of their expedition, concluding:

> "major retailers like Wal-Mart maintains high levels of opacity around
their supply chain and audit standards, which are detrimental to improving
working standards in the garment industry."

### Tax Avoidance

Our tax avoidance teams pair up. We've paired up techies and storytellers
to tackle the challenge of finding tax avoiders and evaders. Welcome also
to our first Spanish-speaking group, who will take on the challenge. The
expedition launches tomorrow, we will keep you posted with updates!

### Data Expeditions: Call for topics

Have an idea for a topic you think would make a great expedition? (Or, even
better - keen to help us lead one?) Please drop us a line on schoolofdata
[at] okfn.org.

## From the Blog

* John Murtagh's Fantastic Data Roundup:
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/06/05/data-roundup-5th-june/
* Data Diva, Michael Bauer has been on the road, training, training,
training in Prague, Barcelona and Accra (
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/06/04/school-of-data-last-month-prague-barcelona-and-accra/
).
* Analysing UK Lobbying Data Using OpenRefine by Tony Hirst (
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/06/04/analysing-uk-lobbying-data-using-openrefine/)
.

That's all for now, til next time!

**

*Lucy Chambers*

Project Coordinator  | skype: lucyfediachambers  |  tel: +44 7909 330731  |
 @lucyfedia <http://twitter.com/lucyfedia>

Empowering through Open Knowledge

http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on

OpenSpending | http://openspending.org/ |
@openspending<http://twitter.com/openspending>|Tracking every
government financial transaction across the world

School of Data | http://schoolofdata.org |
@schoolofdata<http://twitter.com/schoolofdata>| Evidence is Power