[School-of-data-announce] School of Data Newsletter - September 2014

heather Leson heather.leson at okfn.org
Tue Sep 30 12:42:41 UTC 2014

Happy Fall from School of Data!

We've had a busy few months with the School of Data Fellows and the wider
School of Data Network. In this short note, you'll find a video all about
School of Data Summer Camp, events/updates from around the world and
details about our online skillshares.

***

What happens when you convene 40 people for 4 days of School of Data
building, learning and sharing?  We created this School of Data Summer Camp
film to give you an inside view:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSqF8KnymJk)

***

September has been flush with School of Data activities around the world
including online skillshares, local outreach, and in person workshops. Some
of the recent examples can be found here: Macedonia (
http://blog.okfn.org/2014/09/18/launching-a-new-collaboration-in-macedonia-with-metamorphosis-and-the-uk-foreign-commonwealth-office/),
Bosnia and Herzogovina(href="
http://schoolofdata.org/2014/08/28/hacking-the-worlds-most-complex-election-system-part-2/),
South Africa (
http://schoolofdata.org/2014/09/29/data-for-social-change-in-south-africa/),
Nigeria (
http://schoolofdata.org/2014/09/16/a-weekend-of-data-hacks-and-maps-in-nigeria),
India (
http://schoolofdata.org/2014/09/12/dispatch-from-india-intro-to-data-journalism-workshop-in-bangalore),
and Indonesia (
http://schoolofdata.org/2014/09/24/data-skills-in-jakarta-lego-visualisations-and-apis
)

****
Escuela de Datos (Spain) has a number of report backs for this month.
Medialab-Prado (http://s.coop/1v0is) is a monthly session of data
journalism working group:

Antonio Delgado (@adelgado) shared his project (http://madridenbici.es)
which uses open data from the Madrid city council site (
http://datos.madrid.es)  to map the use of bicycles in Madrid. Alejandro
Gutiérrez of  Outliers (http://www.outliers.es) explained the main concepts
on data visualization and shared some tools. Adolfo Antón Bravo and A.
Gutiérrez taught participants how to make a timeline with timeline.js and a
storymap with storymap.js, both tools from the Knight Lab.

Last week, the Escuela de Datos held a workshop together with Perludem,
funded by the Asia Foundation.(http://asiafoundation.org/)
The community created: offline data viz with lego (
https://secure.flickr.com/photos/112427063@N05/with/15336007011) as well as
online data viz with datawrapper and infogram
(
https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/document/d/17yxAXzD9tDlOstqp7oZS_I9ODnUh0yMtZljB_wwiM1g/edit
)

The last day to apply to the projects call for the second production
workshop focused on “Follow the Public Money” is September 30, 2014. This
workshop will include experts from the New York Times, LA Times, El Pais,
espanaenllamas.es and also the data journalism team at Elconfidencial.com
(@ECLaboratorio).

*****

Antonio Cucho, School of Data fellow in Peru, has been bringing different
initiatives to the exciting world of data. Ruben Moya, fellow in Mexico,
has been reflecting on his successful workshops. Both stories (and others
in Spanish) over at the Escuela de Datos blog

(http://es.schoolofdata.org/blog/).

****

School of Data fellows and SocialTic  (http://socialtic.org) will be
participating in various events this week: AbreLatam (
http://www.abrelatam.org)-ConDatos (http://condatos.org/): The Regional
(Un)Conference on Open Data for Latin America and the Caribbean + fringe
events – 29 Sept-3 Oct, Mexico City.

*****

Our team is also participating in the Responsible Data Forum is this week.
We are joined by Marco Túlio Pires of Escola de Dados (Brazil) and Rita
Zagoni (School of Data Fellow based in Hungary.) Sessions throughout the
2-day resource sprint will focus on bringing an end-user perspective to
responsible data strategies. Watch the School of Data blog (
http://blog.schoolofdata.org/) for updates.

****
We aim to build a network of School of Data Trainers. One of the ways we
are learning and training is via regular online skillshares. You’ll find
the first two live -  Network Mapping (
http://schoolofdata.org/2014/09/10/how-to-network-mapping-builds-community/)
and Data Viz and Design (
http://schoolofdata.org/2014/09/26/data-visualization-and-design-skillshare/).
These will be scheduled throughout the year and be recorded. Join the Open
Kwowledge G+ site  (
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/112608652597658788737/112608652597658788737/posts)
and watch our blog /mailing list for more details.

If you would like to host an online skillshare, please do get in touch.

****
How can we help you be more involved in School of Data?  Have a School of
Data Story? Want to write a guest blog post? Share a tweet? Contact us
@schoolofdata or info AT schoolofdata DOT org.

*****

(Note: we are changing our newsletter soon, so this month's edition is text
only!)

Heather

--

Heather Leson, Community Engagement Director

Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>*, Empowering through Open
Knowledge*

IRC/skype: heatherleson  | @heatherleson <https://twitter.com/heatherleson>
http://okfn.org/  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on Facebook