[School-of-data] Hi! Intro from Jen Lowe

Jen Lowe jen.lowe at okfn.org
Fri Jun 15 02:07:48 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to quickly introduce myself as the new OKFN Data Wrangler
working on the School of Data and OpenSpending projects.

My education is in applied math and information science, with a
concentration in government secrecy and information visualization. My
experience has been centered around communicating with numbers, from
teaching math to scientific programming and visualization of lidar data.

I'm deeply enthusiastic about the power of open data, particularly in the
hands of a motivated and interested individual who has access to tools and
a community with which to analyze the data. In information science, the
saying "Every book its reader" is used to remind us that materials should
be accessible to everyone in a community. I strongly believe that "every
data has its analyst."

My hope is that the School of Data will be a place where any interested
person can learn the data skills they need to access the data they want.

If you want to see more about me, try my website:
http://www.datatelling.com/ or find me on twitter at @datatelling. (Full
disclosure: on twitter I'm about 50% conversation, 40% things I like, and
10% things that make me angry, focused on data and visualization but often
random.)

I'm so happy to be part of the OKFN community, and am really looking
forward to good discussions about data, learning, and making great things
with all of you!

Cheers,
Jen

--