[School-of-data] Thank you!!

Laura Newman laura.newman at okfn.org
Thu May 24 16:14:46 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

First of all, a **huge thank you** to everyone who showed up and
participated in the virtual sprint today. This is a fairly swift wrap-up as
those of us in the 'physical' sprint in Belirn are currently being
kicked-out our venue for the evening, but it really has been a great
afternoon. I spotted more than 30 people taking part at one single moment
in time, and over the course of the afternoon a huge number of you were
involved.

Here is a quick summary of what you achieved:

* Many of you  took, reviewed and gave us feedback about our first course.
Your feedback has been gathered on this etherpad:
http://schoolofdata.okfnpad.org/course-1 and within the p2pu course itself.
* Some of you started to write new courses.
** Clement has a new course ready for test run:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p4yBPOf29IsmERSCjrRzom45Nnp3dZ0QWGHcL7mJjlM/edit
** Mepler has begun a basic course outline on data visualisation - more to
come soon!
** Molly, Jane and others have been outlining a course on open licensing:
http://schoolofdata.okfnpad.org/openchallenge, test at
https://p2pu.org/en/groups/what-can-you-do-with-the-data-you-find/ - help
improve/edit!
* A full overview of the skills and practices that the School will address
has been put together, and fleshed out a bit. Stiivi and Peter Murray-Rust
have a working version up http://cl.ly/1v2x3b0N3t0K232S3E1L (new version
coming soon)
* More generally, there has been useful feedback on the aims, audience and
learning model of the School. Some of this took place on IRC and has been
'noted' internally - much of it is formally gathered here:
http://schoolofdata.okfnpad.org/thoughtsandfeedback
* Several people have contributed great resources, and flagged up useful
educational materials and datasets. See the spreadsheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aon3JiuouxLUdFZPM25HN2pHUk1XSXl0RFg5YkFId0E#gid=0

I encourage you to keep checking in on the volunteers etherpad
http://schoolofdata.okfnpad.org/volunteers and adding your thoughts and
feedback. We particularly welcome criticism and pointers of what *isn't*
working - because this is what will help us to improve.

This has been a great beginning, and there is really exciting impetus going
forward.

In haste, but very happily :)
Laura

--