[School-of-data] bitbucket, was: Tutorial for publishing data using github

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Wed Apr 24 15:35:58 UTC 2013

Alvaro Graves Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:40:24 +0100 (rearranged)
> http://manzanamecanica.org/2013/04/como_publicar_open_data_con_github_una_guia_paso_a_paso.html

> I published a tutorial on how to publish data using github. This
> tutorial was motivated by many small organizations (municipalities,
> small towns) that do not have data portals due [to] lack of
> resources but still want to make data [available].

Good stuff, but you might also consider doing a bitbucket tutorial.
Github and bitbucket are both (mostly) free services, and have quite
similar interfaces (though the github API is more automatable), but the
latter has (IMHO) the major advantage of providing space for unmanaged
binaries (e.g.,

https://bitbucket.org/tlroche/gfed-3.1_global_to_aqmeii-na/downloads

) while github has explicitly abandoned that:

https://github.com/blog/1302-goodbye-uploads

IMHO a 'downloads' section is good for (e.g.)

* large images

* providing URIs for content available elsewhere but only through a GUI

* providing URIs for content available elsewhere but with less uptime or
  download bandwidth

Hence I'm gradually migrating my project content github -> bitbucket.

YMMV, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>