[School-of-data] PDF vs ePUB vs Open Data, was: PDF Extraction Tools

Alvaro Graves alvaro at graves.cl
Mon Feb 11 21:00:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

If I recall correctly, EPUB is basically a set of XHTML files (and images)
zipped in an archive. Extracting data from an EPUB document is _MUCH_
simpler than from a PDF (specially considering that in many cases the PDF
is based on a scanned document). I'd like to see more EPUB and less PDFs in
general, but there are certain communities where the latter is the de facto
standard (e.g., scientific publications, government reports, etc).

BTW, I remember some Linux command (pdftotext I think) that was really
useful to get 80% of the content of a bunch of PDFs documents. Of course,
YMMV.

Best,
Al

Alvaro Graves-Fuenzalida