[School-of-data] PDF vs ePUB vs Open Data, was: PDF Extraction Tools

Friedrich Lindenberg friedrich.lindenberg at okfn.org
Mon Feb 11 20:53:41 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:

> My question is: from an automatic data extraction point of view, what
> is better between ePUB and PDF? In other words, what should an Open
> Data activist, interested in that kindof data processing, accept or
> recommend as a format for ebooks from public administrations?
>
> My feeling is that ePUB is better, but I am not sure. What do you
> think?

ePub is simply a Zip file with HTML and really nice metadata. From that
point of view, it is much preferable over PDF as a publication standard
(unless people start wrapping complex structures like tables into images).

Some ePub is encrypted with DRM, but this is true of PDF as well - both can
be .. dealt with.

Cheers,

 - Friedrich