[School-of-data] question city council data

Tony.Hirst Tony.Hirst at open.ac.uk
Fri Jun 21 13:18:16 UTC 2013

For the UK, openlylocal.com gives a good idea of basic open information made available by UK local councils.

Another way in to finding out what UK councils are willing to disclose is to lookup what folk have requested using freedom of information requests - eg I wrote a scraper to pull results back from an open FOI requesting site - whatdotheyknow.com - looking for responses that included data files: https://views.scraperwiki.com/run/whatdotheyknow_-_local_gov_foi_requests_with_sprea/   (about: http://blog.ouseful.info/2012/04/28/the-foi-route-to-real-fake-open-data-via-whatdotheyknow/ )

I've also found that you can find ways in to other collections using web searches along the lines of eg:

site:gov.uk inurl:council public register

to search for all manner of public registers that are locally managed by councils and use the response as a basbis for building up a list of registers that other councils should manage? If one of them makes it public (as with FOI data releases) that can also be used a precedent to take to other councils?

tony

Tony Hirst
Personal blog: blog.ouseful.info

Tel/SMS: +44 (0) 1908 652789