[School-of-data] Case studies

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 17:54:43 UTC 2013

A colleague, who is teaching a data science course was called away by a
family emergency. I was asked to substitute for a couple of weeks. The
students were assigned to do a term project. I spent the first of my two
weeks having them discuss their status. It was disappointing. Many hadn't
started; any of the rest hadn't gotten very far.

I'm looking for some good case studies that I can present to show them how
to do a good data science project. Ideally the case study should describe
the original data, the tools used, and the steps taken in enough detail
that someone could reproduce the work.

The course is for computer science students who have virtually no data
science background. So ideally also, the case study should not presuppose
any sophisticated statistical competence.  Most of them are using Weka.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Now that I write this it strikes me that this is probably a good way to
teach a data science course to CS majors.  Work though a number of case
studies that illustrate the important techniques and explain how the
techniques and theories work as they are used.

Thanks for you help.

*-- Russ Abbott*
***  Professor, Computer Science*
*  California State University, Los Angeles*

*  My paper on how the Fed can fix the economy: ssrn.com/abstract=1977688*
*  Google voice: 747-*999-5105
  Google+: plus.google.com/114865618166480775623/
*  vita:  *sites.google.com/site/russabbott/
  CS Wiki <http://cs.calstatela.edu/wiki/> and the courses I teach