[School-of-data] Tagline for School of Data

Adam Stiles adam.d.stiles at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 17:30:21 UTC 2013

Hi Lucy,

I think there are 3 necessary concepts to include: 1)
"learning/literacy/skills", 2) "data/information", 3) "good/change

"Learning data for good" is very close, but we don't exactly "learn data";
we learn *(skills) to use/wrangle/leverage *data.

"Data skills for good" is better for this reason, though for me "skills"
feels too light-weight for this context.

So I'd submit "data literacy for good" (literacy generally implies critical
thinking and application, as opposed to just "knowing" things).

In some ways this may all be redundant, since as someone else mentioned,
"data" is in the school's name, and we all know what schools do. Perhaps
you don't need a tagline at all, because School of Data is very well-named.

The only variable missing is "good", so in a way, the only reason to create
a tagline is to let people know this isn't all for "bad" which may be
unnecessary :)

Adam

p.s. The About page does a good job of elaborating, while still being
concise. My impression is that School of Data's top-level communications
are already very effective (my trade, for what it's worth).

> > On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 6:46 AM, Lucy Chambers <lucy.chambers at okfn.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > As the School of Data develops and matures, we thought it would be about
> time to find a tagline that appropriately reflects what we are about.
> >
> > Wanted to open up to the community and see what you thought. Below are
> just a few ideas, but we'd love to hear from you if you have a better
> suggestion!
> >
> >       ? Learning data for good (??)
> >       ? Data skills for good
> >       ? Data for good