[School-of-data] Tagline for School of Data

Owen Stephens owen at ostephens.com
Sun Mar 10 13:44:55 UTC 2013

The School's mission statement uses 'data literacy'
"Our aim is to spread data literacy through the world by offering online and offline learning opportunities" (http://schoolofdata.org/#about)

While I'm not completely convinced that the term 'data literacy' is meaningful, I think a tagline and the mission statement should be in sync with each other. I like the use of 'insight' as it talks to an outcome rather than skills or tools - but I notice that the closest the mission statement comes to this is  'analysis'

"With School of Data you’ll learn how to:

	• scout out the best data sources
	• speed up and hone your data handling and analysis
	• visualise and present data creatively"

Of course it is just as appropriate that the mission should be changed to be consistent with the tag line rather than working from the existing 'mission' - but for me getting the mission right should come before the tagline - if it is felt the current mission statement doesn't quite say what School of Data is about then perhaps this is the time to discuss?

As an aside I'd also disagree with some of the comments that 'School of Data' is in some way self-explanatory - I think only to those of us already in the game.

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com