[School-of-data] Tagline for School of Data

Ma-roof M mahroof.m at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 07:14:04 UTC 2013

The school is about collecting, using/representing/understanding data, and
making people better informed.
There is data collection, there is analysis, there is comprehension.

The tagline should reflect all these.

How about this:
School of Data
Collate Canvass Cognize

>From Wordweb:
Collate: To assemble in proper sequence.
Canvass: Consider in detail and subject to an analysis in order to discover
essential features or meaning.
Cognize: Be cognizant or aware of a fact or a specific piece of
information; possess knowledge or information about.

Canvass might appear odd given that it is generally associated with
canvassing (as in electoral canvassing). We may use Analyze instead.

School of Data
Collate Analyze Cognize.

Mahroof

On 10 March 2013 19:14, Owen Stephens <owen at ostephens.com> wrote:

> The School's mission statement uses 'data literacy'
> "Our aim is to spread data literacy through the world by offering online
> and offline learning opportunities" (http://schoolofdata.org/#about)
>
> While I'm not completely convinced that the term 'data literacy' is
> meaningful, I think a tagline and the mission statement should be in sync
> with each other. I like the use of 'insight' as it talks to an outcome
> rather than skills or tools - but I notice that the closest the mission
> statement comes to this is  'analysis'
>
> "With School of Data you’ll learn how to:
>
>         • scout out the best data sources
>         • speed up and hone your data handling and analysis
>         • visualise and present data creatively"
>
> Of course it is just as appropriate that the mission should be changed to
> be consistent with the tag line rather than working from the existing
> 'mission' - but for me getting the mission right should come before the
> tagline - if it is felt the current mission statement doesn't quite say
> what School of Data is about then perhaps this is the time to discuss?
>
> As an aside I'd also disagree with some of the comments that 'School of
> Data' is in some way self-explanatory - I think only to those of us already
> in the game.
>
> Owen
>
> Owen Stephens
> Owen Stephens Consulting
> Web: http://www.ostephens.com
> Email: owen at ostephens.com
> Telephone: 0121 288 6936

Knowledge, that is *discovered*, lasts a lifetime..
 *
Asst. Professor*, Faculty of Planning and Public Policy, CEPT University
K L Campus, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad, 380009 Gujarat, India
Off | mahroof at cept.ac.in | Tel : +91 79 26302470 ext: 147
 Per | mahroof.m at gmail.com | *Mob:* +91 *94 285 10963*