[School-of-data] Python, pandas and ipython notebooks

Tony.Hirst tony.hirst at open.ac.uk
Tue Jun 17 09:57:57 UTC 2014

FWIW, I've been putting together some notebooks around pandas for an in
production OU course.

We can't share all the notebooks atm (version & quality control issues!
Plus things are still in an early stage of development) but I'll try to
post fragments for comment...

The audience is computing students, so the tone and some of the exercises
reflect that...

Here's a draft of a section on pandas series and dataframe structures:
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/psychemedia/ou-tm351/blob/master/noteboo
ks-RFC/Pandas%20Intro%20-%20RFC.ipynb

The notebook is intended to be embedded within other materials and used as
a workbook (if you've ever used Stroud, you may feel the resemblance in
part!); which means reading and working through the activities, running
each cell as you come to it, then perhaps editing the cell you just ran
and running it again.

Any issues or comments, please add them to the tracker at
https://github.com/psychemedia/ou-tm351/issues

tony

[Michael - I'll try to do a notebook intro post for ScoDa blog this week]