[School-of-data] An introduction to SQL - please review

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Mon May 26 21:40:20 UTC 2014

Ewan Klein Mon, 26 May 2014 21:23:38 +0200
> I think you'd end up with a better-looking and more manageable document if you use
> a framework that separates content from presentation, such as Markdown, AsciiDoc,
> or reStructuredText[, rather than a GoogleDoc]. This would [more consistently display]
> code blocks and inline code, and allow you to produce attractive HTML and PDF versions.

The above formats are also natively supported by the wikis provided by most open online code repositories (e.g., Bitbucket, Github).

> http://lifehacker.com/this-script-converts-google-documents-to-markdown-for-e-511746113
> describes a method for converting an existing Google doc to Markdown.

Additional advantages attainable by "forklifting" from gDoc to managed markdown:

* managing both documents and code for a given project (on one platform)
* better versioning and access management for both code and documents (by, e.g., pull request)
* (optionally) some OOCRs (e.g., Bitbucket, SourceForge) also support project downloads (i.e., in-project storage for binaries)
* (optionally) many OOCRs also provide issue trackers for projects

HTH, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>