[School-of-data] An introduction to SQL - please review

Michael Bauer michael.bauer at okfn.org
Tue May 27 09:16:10 UTC 2014

Hi there,

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 05:40:20PM -0400, Tom Roche wrote:

> Ewan Klein Mon, 26 May 2014 21:23:38 +0200
> > I think you'd end up with a better-looking and more manageable document if you use
> > a framework that separates content from presentation, such as Markdown, AsciiDoc,
> > or reStructuredText[, rather than a GoogleDoc]. This would [more consistently display]
> > code blocks and inline code, and allow you to produce attractive HTML and PDF versions.

No - I plan to edit in all the comments (You people are awesome!) and turn
it into Markdown so we can use it as a School of Data module.

Just wanted to get feedback on it in a format that was easier to edit.

Michael

> The above formats are also natively supported by the wikis provided by most open online code repositories (e.g., Bitbucket, Github).
>
> > http://lifehacker.com/this-script-converts-google-documents-to-markdown-for-e-511746113
> > describes a method for converting an existing Google doc to Markdown.
>
> Additional advantages attainable by "forklifting" from gDoc to managed markdown:
>
> * managing both documents and code for a given project (on one platform)
> * better versioning and access management for both code and documents (by, e.g., pull request)
> * (optionally) some OOCRs (e.g., Bitbucket, SourceForge) also support project downloads (i.e., in-project storage for binaries)
> * (optionally) many OOCRs also provide issue trackers for projects
>
> HTH, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>

Data Diva | skype: mihi_tr | @mihi_tr
Open Knowledge | School of Data
http://okfn.org | http://schoolofdata.org