[science-at] Fwd: [open-science] Call for Papers: “Transforming Scholarship: Open Access, Data Sharing, and Emerging Forms of Publication”

Stefan Kasberger mail at stefankasberger.at
Tue Mar 10 21:38:02 UTC 2015

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[open-science] Call for Papers: “Transforming Scholarship:
Open Access, Data Sharing, and Emerging Forms of Publication”
Date: 	Tue, 10 Mar 2015 07:57:19 -0700
From: 	Alessandro Delfanti <adelfanti at ucdavis.edu>
To: 	open-science at lists.okfn.org

Dear all,

we have issued this call for papers for the next Society for Social
Studies of Science conference: http://icis.ucdavis.edu/?p=599

Please consider sending a contribution and/or help us circulate the call

Thank you
Alessandro

+++

Call for papers "Transforming Scholarship: Open Access, Data Sharing,
and Emerging Forms of Publication" for a panel at the next 4S Annual
Meeting (Society for Social Studies of Science), to be held in Denver,
CO, November 11-14, 2015

http://icis.ucdavis.edu/?p=599

Powerful changes are impacting traditional systems of research
publication, academic credit, research quality assessment, and the
meaning of “publication.” At the same time, traditional publishing
models continue to shape how scholars produce and exchange knowledge.
Understanding the scholarly communication system and its balance between
transformation and continuity is a key goal for science and technology
studies, as publishing practices affect scholars and scientists across
all fields and levels. These changes also frame the policies of
administrators evaluating and funding them, and of libraries confronting
new technologies. The increasing scale and interdisciplinary nature of
collaborations, as well as the growing reliance on cyberinfrastructures
for producing and disseminating research, are central transformations
that require a critical, theoretically oriented approach that
encompasses the significance of these trends beyond communication.

The panel turns to different perspectives, such as STS, law, history,
ethnography or media studies, to shed light on how scholarly
communication systems evolve and interact with broader socio-political
transformations. Indeed, we believe that the transformation we point out
is posing epistemological and sociological questions about the place of
scientific knowledge in contemporary societies. We are particularly
interested in papers including, but not limited to, the following
sub-topics: the interplay between old and new models of scholarly
communication; the impact of Open Access models; the transformation of
data from research results to research output itself; new metrics of
impact; new forms of misconduct including metrics-based misconduct; the
impact of English as the lingua franca of global science; doubts about
peer review as quality guarantor; the impact of intellectual property on
the content and timing of publications; disciplinary and geographical
differences; scholarly norms and incentives that shape scientific
institutions and their communication practices. Through this panel we
aim to discuss and strengthen a critical research agenda that could
inform university policy change for scholarly communication.

The deadline for submissions of individual papers is March 29, 2015

Organizers of this panel are: Alessandro Delfanti (corresponding
convenor), Alexandra Lippman, and Mario Biagioli (University of
California, Davis).

--
Alessandro Delfanti
University of California, Davis