[Wg-economics-advisory] Notes from the first conference call of the Open Economics Advisory Panel

Bronwyn Hall bhhall at econ.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 29 07:40:23 UTC 2012

Dear Rufus, Velichka, et al.,

I am sorry I was not able to join the working group phone conference
- the phone system at Bocconi defeated me, I was unable to enter the
code correctly.

Thanks for the summary of the meeting, and here are a few comments:

1. I endorse the suggestions of David Levine for additional board
members, they are excellent.

2. My concern as an open data provider is the cost of being a
provider, in terms of documentation, formatting, handling inquiries,
etc., especially in an ongoing manner. Granting agencies rarely want
to support these kinds of activities (even when they claim to, peer
review generally does not value them). Also, I wonder how our efforts
would fit into those already ongoing - various journals' archives,
and the ICPSR data center. See

<http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/>http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/

I will hope to be able to participate in the first workshop,

Bronwyn