[Wg-economics-advisory] Notes from the first conference call of the Open Economics Advisory Panel

hbrunner at adb.org hbrunner at adb.org
Fri Mar 23 09:42:46 UTC 2012

Thanks Ms Dimitrova for this quick summary. I was happy to join the call,
at least for a period of it. Unfortunately, I didn't get properly
connected on fixed line through the Asian Development Bank communications
net (as the time between 1am and 2 am HongKong time is a bit outside
office hours for our switchboard), and then I ended up on connecting on my
mobile, where the sound of the conversation was a bit uneven, and I
appreciate this summary. Next week, Europe moves '1 hour closer to HK time
because of summer' -- and possible next time a conference call could be
set-up at 16.00GMT, then I can connect more successfully at a more civil
hour (11pm).

Just to add a few points to pieces of information I did get:

## What should be the Focus
There are organizations, like ADB, or the World Bank, that gather and
access huge amounts of economic data (and most of it goes to waste). And
we also work with people, and hire them on and off, to maintain data bases
and work on them, also for reasons of policy making. This should be a main
focus.

Crowd-sourcing of data seems to me to be an important area of discussion.

Recently, I sent to Rufus a proposal on setting up a 'scoping workshop'
for a project to develop economic geography model applications (and the
pilot model is already up and running with me), based on open knowledge
access. This could be discussed further.

As to workshops, there was a discussion on the timing of a Cambridge
Workshop -- the idea of having it around the time of AEA meeting is worth
pursuing. May/June is not so good, and too early.

Hans-Peter Brunner

Hans-Peter Brunner
Senior Economist, South Asia
Asian Development Bank