[wsfii-discuss] (free)networking the world

Ramon Roca ramon.roca at guifi.net
Tue Dec 20 22:29:52 UTC 2005

Often within the local groups at guifi.net, we discuss about which is
the best app for having certain functionality. Same discussion raises
even when developing own code.
The problem is that each app has its own database schema for doing his job.
The result of this is that the network vision becomes limited by what's
in the every single server instead of the network itself.

On the other hand, even when using the same app, in order to distribute
the servers, will be nice to be able to exchange data between them, and
therefore the system load in certain apps such as network monitoring
etc, in a way that a node can manage a specific region, but keeping the
ability to refresh the data managed by other servers.

To enable this, we're thinking on describing a DTD, which has to be
neutral from the point of view of the apps.
You can see an a preliminar draft of it here:
http://guifi.net/ca/node/3521 (in Catalan, but the dtd self explains).

In a summary, by having this I do see important advantages:
-Ability to provide a view of a global network consolidating the
communities who agree in adopting this format.
-Will enable the apps to inter operate between them, so i.e. by having a
good mapping app, that will not exclude to pick another app for other
functions, i.e. monitoring tools etc, as long as both tools supports the
DTD, which has to be simple since is just XML.
-Easy way to provide a global vision of the networks regardless of how
many local groups there are, therefore that might help to create
identity/brand name for the freenetworks, without affecting everyone's
autonomy.

I would expect that we can have something with live data and running at
guifi.net soon.

Just wondering if someone wants to comment/suggest on this, have more
ideas or even worked in something similar before (so it's already done
and we just have to adopt/enhance it).

Ramon